There are many different styles of lanterns one can make. The following suggestions include only the materials needed for each type of lantern. You can find complete instructions telling you how to make each one in the referenced books. Of course, you are not limited to these patterns. Let your creativity inspire you!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Making Lanterns for Your Lantern Festival
1. Paper Lantern from The Children’s Year (p. 104-105)
tracing or wax paper, thick colored/construction paper, pressed leaves or colored tissue paper, 4 ½ “ round plastic lid, string.
2. Paper Lantern from Festivals, Family and Food (p. 106) firm paper 15-16” long, tissue paper, card stock for bottom.
3. Paper Lantern from All Year Round (p. 164-166)
card or thick paper 8×20”, tissue paper, wire such as floral wire, craft knife.
4. Paper Lantern from Earthways (p. 33-34) heavy construction paper or white watercolor paper, crayons or liquid watercolor and paint brushes, paper fasteners, masking tape, tissue paper.
5. Pressed Leaves Lantern from Earthways (p. 35-36) pressed leaves, wax paper, round box tops, construction paper strip, florists’ wire, masking tape.
6. Paper Lantern from A Child Seasonal Treasury (p. 55)
watercolor paper (17×21”), watercolor paints, tissue paper, wire, double-sided tape.
7. Tin Can Lantern
large tin can filled with water and frozen two days ahead (!), markers, towel, hammer, different sized nails, thin wire.